The Lake Houston area is fortunate to have an effective and innovative school district in Humble ISD to provide a highly skilled workforce and a higher education institution in Lone Star College System that is capable of developing the programs to meet the training needs of area companies and small businesses.
The mission of HISD CTE Program is to provide students with business/industry experience as part of their high school curriculum. Students are exposed to a unique combination of classroom instruction and placements in technical work environments where they can acquire new information, concepts, techniques and procedures related to their specific career interests.
The goal is to ensure that students are prepared to succeed in post secondary education and in a world that is increasingly oriented toward highly skilled jobs.
Workforce Development – Workforce Solutions (WFS) is the proven workforce development institution in the state and in the Lake Houston area. Their services are available to individuals seeking career development as well as businesses of all sizes and industry sectors in the area seeking ongoing employee development. Workforce Solutions continues to provide top-notch workforce solutions helping employers solve workforce-related business problems and area residents build careers, so that both can better compete in the changing worldwide economy. WFS offers career advancement and certification scholarships for high growth occupations in the area.
Labor Force – The population of over 25 years of age is highly educated. 32% of the population 25 years and older has at least a Bachelor’s degree, which is 25% higher than the state average. In fact, only 12% of the population lacks high school equivalency.
Higher Education – The Lake Houston Area has an excellent post-secondary education institution located within the community in Lone Star College – Kingwood. As part of the Lone Star College System, they provide a variety of education courses and programs such as credit classes, university transfer courses, career and vocational programs, and distance learning to prepare students for the workforce or to earn a four-year degree from any college or university. Lone Star College – Kingwood’s most popular programs of study include dental, nursing and cosmetology but also offer so much more. Please click this link to see Lone Star College – Kingwood’s programs of study.
Area Higher Education Opportunities – The Lake Houston Area has access to numerous higher education opportunities in the Houston area from community.Other Higher Education Institutions and distance from LHA
- Lone Star College-Kingwood 5 miles
- Lone Star College-Atascocita Campus 5 miles
- San Jacinto College-North Campus 10 miles
- Houston Community College- 15 miles
- Texas Southern University- 22 miles
- Rice University- 23 miles
- University of St. Thomas- 24 miles
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston- 24 miles
- University of Houston-Downtown 25 miles
- Lee College-25 miles
- CyFair College- 27 miles
- Devry University- 28 miles
- San Jacinto College Central Campus- 30 miles
- Houston Baptist University- 30 miles
- Prairie View A&M- 55 miles
- Sam Houston State University- 58 miles
- Texas A&M University at Galveston- 70 miles
- Blinn College- 80 miles
- Lamar Institute of Technology – Beaumont- 95 miles
- Texas A&M University at College Station- 100 miles
- Lamar State College – Port Arthur- 100 miles
- Lamar State College – Orange- 120 miles
- University of Texas at Austin- 170 miles
- Baylor University- 185 miles